Saturday, October 20, 2007

Weigh-In...

I've had a hard time limiting my time on the scale to once a week... my scale at home, that is. And that thing is a piece of junk that is so inaccurate. But I would still hop on it all the time to see if the number was down or up. The other morning I carried it out to the trash can. The trash men have taken it away to the dump so it is gone, baby, gone! I so needed to do that a loooooong time ago.

So, last Saturday's weigh-in was depressing because the scale didn't change at all from the previous weigh-in. You'd think I'd get used to that since it happens a lot but I never seem to. Everything is better now, though, because this morning's weigh-in clocked me at 308! That's 4 more pounds lost bringing my total so far to a whopping 92lbs lost in almost 7 months!

I am baffled at the weird pattern that my body has seemed to settle into when it comes to my weight loss. I usually pull a good number during the first week of the month... then my time of month comes and I don't lost anything or I gain a pound or two. Then the next two weeks are hit or miss... maybe a pound lost, maybe nothing lost, maybe a big loss. But when the new month comes around I usually see some good results. I need to learn to find other things to celebrate during those no-loss weeks.

So, here are some non-scale victories I've experienced in the last week or so:
  • I did push-ups at the gym! They were the girlie kind, but I did them... 2 sets of 12.
  • I walked a mile on the treadmill in 17 minutes. When I first started working out it took me 30 minutes to walk a mile and I've slowly worked my way down to 17 freakin' minutes!
  • I was able to get up off the floor after doing crunches without using my hands to balance myself and push myself up from the floor. I sat up to my knees then stood up without using my hands. I was so excited when I realized I had done it that I sat back down to see if I could do it again!
  • I realized that I really don't need a 3X T-shirt anymore... I can fit into a 2X. It is a little snug around my stomach, but nothing that a little stretch didn't fix. I'm so excited!
I know that some of those things may not seem like a big deal to a person who hasn't struggled with weight. But if you've been as heavy as I've been/as I am... well, you'd totally understand.

My trainer at the gym wants me to start running. Not a lot of running, of course... but to start out slowly and work my way up. He said that the running would burn a lot of calories and shock my body into letting go of some major pounds. I'm not too keen on the idea because there's a lot of jiggling going on when I run... but I think I might give it a shot tomorrow afternoon at the track. Not a lot of running... but some walking with 10 second intervals of light jogging thrown in for fun. :)

10 comments:

Twix said...

I am so happy for you!! Having all those small victories adds up! I agree with the walk/jog/walk, etc. I have been doing that. It seems to help with my strength and endurance. It should help you too! So I encourage you to give it a try!! Congrats on getting rid of the scale! Have a great week! :)

Diana Swallow said...

So smart to stop the scale obsession! I'm so glad to see you list your NSV too! I'm so proud of you for working out so hard, don't ever give up!

The Fat Foreigner said...

wow, it seems like you've really be working hard, well done. Are you going to replace the scale with a new one? I weigh in everyday (which people really frown on, and I understand why but it really helps keep me on track) but it's all about what works for you.

Chubby Chick said...

Wow! Congrats on the weight loss! And congrats on the NSV's!!! You have done an amazing job so far, girl! What an inspiration you are! I am SO happy for you! Keep up the good work! :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your victories, weight-related and otherwise! That's awesome!! So much weight lost in seven months - must get there myself. ;)

Elz said...

WOW 92 pounds that's great. I think it's good you threw out your scale. It becomes an obsession sometimes i can weigh myself a couple times a day just to see if it's gone up or down after eating. The scale i have now is horrible i don't even bother it's in kg and it only goes up to a certain weight and then goes past the zero agai it's sad :-( . I know what you mean getting up and not using your hands that's great. I don't know about the running though I mean you should give it a try. But if it's too painfull or too hard to breathe you might want to loose a bit more weight first so you don't hurt yourself. Your tolerance might be a lot better to mine in the fact that you excercise a lot more. But I'm 300 pounds and I wouldnt even try running I'd hurt myself. Even without the knee injury. Let's face it I couldn't even run at 227 pounds LoL maybe I'm weak. It would be great if the runiing did work for you though. I would love to run. I think my husband thinks I'm a bit stupid, one day i asked him what it was like to run I said does it feel great. He said no. LOL I think it would you would feel your muscles being worked all over your body. Any how good luck with the running you never know that may make you loose your last few punds and then its 300 Wahoo! That's exciting 100 pnds! Somthing to Celebrate.

Mandy said...

Oh My! Your blog is like a breath of fresh air to me. I need to say "Thank You, Thank You, Thank You." for talking so openly about your personal weight loss! I'm really hoping that reading your inspirational blog will help me shed some of the pounds I've packed on after I deliver my second daugther! You are doing amazing!

Anonymous said...

You are kicking but way to go & those non scale victories are just as important I have been reading your blog & you are working hard I am so happy for and good riddance to your scale keep up the good work

Anonymous said...

Great job on the weightloss this week and even better - all those NSV!!

Everything Counts said...

All I have to say is...YOU GO GIRL!!! Awesome weight loss...and that doctor doesn't know what she is talking about!!! You can do it!!! Don't ever let anybody tell you that you can't do something.

I honestly can't believe the doctor told you what she did! If you set yourself up for success, then that is just what you will get! Don't give up! I am behind you 100%!!!