Sunday, November 4, 2007

no magic pills...

I weighed in at 305 this weekend, so happy dance for me!

I've had a great weekend exercise-wise, too. Yesterday we went to a college football game at my alma mater... we parked a little over a mile from the stadium and walked there and back, with a wicked hill that I thought was going to get the best of me but I pushed through it. Earlier that morning I woke up and went to the gym at 6:00am for strength training and 20 minutes of cardio. Then, today I went to the high school track and did some Couch to 5K and went 1.5 miles in 30 minutes.

Today at church I had so many people asking me about my weight loss. Everyone asks me what I'm doing to lose the weight. When I tell them that it's simply dietary changes and exercise, they always look a little disappointed. It's like they want me to give them some kind of secret about losing weight. I hate to let them down by telling them that there are no secrets... no magic pills, no miracle cure.

I've had to learn that food isn't the most important thing in the world... and at one time in my life, I treated food like it was. Food was my comfort... food was my best friend in the whole world. It's sad and pathetic, but that was my reality for most of my life up until this point. Am I still an emotional eater? YES! I look at my relationship with food like alcoholism or drug addiction. I'm always going to have to work against my food addiction. It's gotten easier, but it's still something I have to work on. When I'm upset or stressed, my thoughts still go to eating the biggest bowl of ice cream or the biggest plate of cookies I can find. But I don't eat the ice cream. I don't eat the cookies. I fight the urge with everything I have and I almost always win out.

And as long as I continue to win out, I know I'll be okay.

9 comments:

The Fat Foreigner said...

YAY! Wow, you're so. close. to 299 right now, I bet it's looking at you out of the corner of it's eye and worrying. The End is nigh! Seriously though, congratulation. Looking at your stats for monthly weight loss and seeing the steady loss you've maintained is incredible. It also makes the jealous side of me hate you jsut a little bit, but it's mostly incredible, I swear!

Twix said...

Awesome weigh in! Congratulations!

Next time people at church ask you that, just say:

By the Power of God!! Hallelujah!!

:D

MB said...

Congrats on the loss! Continue to fight the good fight :)

Chubby Chick said...

Wow! Congrats on another loss! You are SO close to having 100 lbs. off! Good for you!

Your exercise habits are AWESOME! You should be SO proud of what you have accomplished so far with all your hard work! :)

Diana Swallow said...

I'm so proud of you!

Slimmer Side of Me said...

Wow - looking at your weight loss is an incredible inspiration. You are definitely fighting the good fight and winning. It's hard work but you are doing so well!

iCANdothis said...

wow that's so much exercise, good for you. and while other people might be disappointed, you give me hope that I can do it without pills/surgery and just power through it.

congrats!

Elz said...

Your doing great. Lol it's funny people want to know what the secret is maybe they think you have gotten surgery. It's so much better if you can do it yourself. If they are asking obviously they can tell you have lost a lot which is great. I know what you mean about thinking of it as an addiction what people don't seem to understand is that unlike alchol and drugs you need food to live which makes it even harder to do. You can't just give it up like the others. I had a battle with cheese cake this weekend and cheesecake won. Now I have to start all over again. Hows everything else going? Hows the running? Well Keep up the good work cheers liz

Naturally Blessed said...

*confetti*

your whole progress has been amazing to follow! i am proud you!

i've gotten that a few times, sorry to disappoint but there is no easy way out of this....its hard. most of the time.....